Wednesday, September 30, 2009

No Waste Wednesday: fun with fibers

If you've been scrapbooking or cardmaking for a while, I bet you have some fibers hiding out somewhere, sadly shoved aside as you moved on to all the pretty ribbons that became available. I still use fibers here and there in my projects, but with the stash I've collected I decided I needed to get creative with how I used it. Enter the wrapped fiber border.

To make the fluffy red border on this card I cut a strip of thin chipboard and ran a piece of double sided tape down both sides. Starting at the bottom, I carefully wrapped the fiber around the chipboard strip. This particular fiber is an eyelash fringe, so the top of the fiber stuck to the chipboard while the fringy part flares out, making this fun and furry. I adhered the border with a strong liquid glue (Glossy Accents) to ensure that it didn't go anywhere.

I wanted to overlap my sentiment over the border, but it was so furry I didn't want to try to adhere them to each other. Instead, I took a strip of cardstock (from my scrap file!), bent it to make a little "bridge" and then trimmed the edges to look like a banner. A cute label with a sentiment finishes it off. The fiber makes such a big impact when layered like this, and I still have more of it left!


KI Memories patterned paper (orange); American Crafts patterned paper (dot); Rubba dub dub fiber; Papertrey Ink stamp--Mega Mixed Messages; Versafine by Tsukineko stamping ink; QuicKutz label die; Ranger Glossy Accents liquid glue

No comments:

Post a Comment