Wednesday, June 24, 2009

it's taunting me

"It" is a blender jar full of green smoothie ingredients. With the hotter temperatures lately I've been enjoying some green smoothies for breakfast. Yesterday morning I added all the ingredients in, put the lid on, pressed the button, and...nothing. Keith and I have both tried everything we can think of to make it work and have come to the conclusion that my last green smoothie killed the blender. That, or Tiffany, my work friend, snuck into my house and sabatoged the blender so I would stop making her look at my ugly smoothies in the morning. Now the would-be green smoothie is taunting me with the thought of how creamy and delicious it would have been. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the mixture. We're not buying another blender because Keith's getting me a food processor for my birthday and I'm planning on making it pull double duty. Anyone have a recipe for vanilla yogurt-coated spinach with a dusting of chocolate protein drink powder? Me neither.

Now, before you get all eeked out by the thought of a smoothie with spinach in it, you should know that they're delicious. No, really. You seriously can't taste the spinach and even veggie-hater Keith likes them. There's no recipe, just approximately 40% leafy greens and 60% fruit. I always add a frozen banana (makes it sweeter and creamier) and ice for texture and I like to have vanilla yogurt in there for more sweetness and some protein. This particular concoction languishing in my fridge was supposed to feed two and includes several handfuls of raw spinach, 2 frozen bananas, frozen blueberries, low-fat vanilla yogurt, 2 Carnation chocolate instant breakfast packets, and a handful of prunes (we're a bit of a high-fiber household, and you can't taste them). I'll totally admit it looks gross, but it tastes refreshing, creamy and delicious. I dare you to try one.

No comments:

Post a Comment